Tuesday, 21 October 2014

Creak


Creak.
Wide step, quick feet.
Breath held, heart thump, wake now please.

“Did you hear?”

Not as clear as me.
Not as quick from heavy cloak
of still and blackened deep.

Remember now - to breathe.

"Try and sleep."
Drift and ebb with heavy head
to blanket quiet ease.

Nothing there while unaware you skim and shallow dream.

CREAK.

I DON'T WANT TO SEE.
Shifting ink climb vacant stair
and I don't want to hear.

Come morning light this benign house holds nothing dark for me.

But at 1... but at 2... but at 3...

Ownership of more in wit than stone and wood and deeds.

We live in a very old farmhouse cottage and have been woken in the early hours of the morning more than once. I'll be reading 'Creak' live as part of the Halloween Virtual Open Mic Night on Wednesday 29th October from 9.30pm.

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous words. It really does sum up a spooky house to me and I remember those feelings well - I still get them sometimes! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria! The house can be spooky at night-time and an over active imagination doesn't help! x

      Delete
  2. That gave me the jitters..... I get over anxious at any nocturnal sounds too - I have an over active imagination. Little A has also started to feel a little worried about the dark too so I leave her bedroom door open to let the light through when she's falling asleep. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the perfect time of year for getting the jitters. Yep, lights left overnight in this house too... x

      Delete
  3. I could not agree more lovely! I've just written a self help book, and have said the same thing throughout... genuine confidence in our own capabilities will get us far in life. Don't jump on a bandwagon create one!

    ^^
    โกเด้นสล็อต
    สูตรบาคาร่า
    ^^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x